About N4YG

N4YG The Ham

Joe Lunsford was first licensed as a Novice in 1969 as WN4RUF. Shortly thereafter an Advanced Class license was received along with a new call, WB4RUF. In 1973 WB4RUF became N4YG with an Amateur Extra Class license. Being a Novice, the only operating mode was CW and that mode became the favorite and eventually the predominant operating mode. Designing and building neat stuff. During the short period of Novice operating, a 2 watt solid state QRP tranmitter was constructed. Many other projects were undertaken in the years to come.

N4YG The Engineer

Before getting into amateur radio, a degree in Electrical Engineering was received from Auburn University in 1965. A masters degree was subsequently earned. First employment was on the NASA's Saturn program. Later after joining the Department of Defense for the remainder of the career, missiles and radars became the predominant work. After 37 years, retirement occurred in 2002.


The first station was located in the garage and it got very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. Nevertheless many enjoyable hours were logged with the Knight R-100a receiver and the Knight T-50 transmitter. The Heathkit HW-101 was my first "good" rig. It was assembled in 1973. What a great rig it was. It served me until 1979 when I acquired the Kenwood TS-530. Also a very nice rig. About this time my brother took the HW-101 to Texas where it remained until 1992 when he returned it to me. It was not around when a tornado struck our city on November 15, 1989 at 4:38 PM. The date and time are etched in the memories of those touched by this event. No one associated with N4YG was injured, but 21 people were killed, scores injured and hundreds of lives were disrupted. Our home was completely destroyed. The station was disrupted and the equipment received several dings, but nothing serious in spite of the heavy rain and, yes, snow the next morning. The home was rebuilt on the same site. The Ten Tec OMNI VI+ was acquired in 2007.

Retirement provided the time necessary for activities which were not possible before. The big one involved restoration of the old HW-101. It was in very poor shape and its VFO drifted and jumped around badly. That was the impetus for the DDS project which began in the 2002 time frame and has continued since